Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chuseok

So here we are celebrating our 1 month anniversary of arriving here in the Republic of South Korea. I have to say that it has gone by really fast.
I am loving it here. I admit that every once in a while I feel the pangs of missing home. It is not that often, but it does happen. I am happy here. God has blessed me immensely. In fact today was the second time I felt like I was in a foreign country. The first time was when we arrived at the airport and there were korean people everywhere! It only happened for a moment, but it was there. God is keeping my heart here, though. The honeymoon is not over!

So Wednesday is Chuseok or the Korean Thanksgiving. Families will go back to their hometowns to visit family, eat rice cake, and visit graves of those who have gone before. It started almost as a way to thank ancestors for the harvest and what has been provided. To some degree, many koreans still do this. Now while my family will probably do this on Wednesday, my prayer is that somehow they will take me to see my grandmother's grave on Thursday. I wasn't horribly close to my grandma, but I remember that she was kind to me and loved me. I want to see it for my mom. I'm pretty sure my mom has been there, but I think it would be good to do that. I think it would be good to represent the family.

I am going to enjoy my 3 days off. Yes we get 3 days off in the middle of the week. It's pretty awesome. I will miss my kids, but sometimes you have to be away from someone to miss them ;) I'll probably get some schoolwork done. Maybe! I'll probably clean, too. Maybe!

No comments: