Saturday, September 25, 2010

Family and.... failure?

This week was chuseok here in South Korea. Chuseok is bascially the korean thanksgiving. A little bit of history tells us that when the harvest would come in, or right before, koreans would take a break and visit family. They never had days off except for chuseok and the lunar new year. Many people had moved away from home to find work in the cities. So first chance they got they would make the trip home. This time of year becomes horrendous as far as traffic is concerned because people are still making the mass exodus home. It's also time for people to visit cemeteries. They make offerings to ancestors honoring them, and thanking them for everything they have.

We had school Monday and Friday. Tuesday we were off and we really didn't do anything at all. We just relaxed. Wednesday, the official day of Chuseok, our boss Mr. Kang invited us to have lunch with he and his family. By the end we were sufficiently stuffed and satisfied. We spent the night at school doing a bit of work. Then we settled in for the night, because we had to wake up extremely early.

The next morning we made for the subway station to take a 2 1/2 hour journey. We were headed to Suwon to see my family. I have two uncles and two aunts here in korea. We got there at about 10. We ate lots of good food again! I got to see all my aunts and uncles and some of my cousins. We hung out at the house and then we went to the Korean Folk Park. It's basically a park showcasing how koreans used to live. We hung out with my cousin Younguk and had a blast. It was so much fun! I am so blessed to have been able to spend that time with my family. It was amazing and still continues to touch my heart even now. I've never experienced what it is like to have a big blood related extended family. I never knew I was missing anything, but man was I. I can't wait to go see them again. Who knew that this is where God wanted me to be, to see them.

Well the other side of the coin holds a bit of failure for me. I've also been entrusted with the task of teaching and loving these children. I have to admit this has not been my first priority. God, however, has been working on my heart. He's shown me that by not being organized and ready I'm losing control and my kids aren't learning like they should be. That changes starting Monday morning. It means working hard and like crazy, but it's what I'm here to do and what I need to make as my priority. Don't get me wrong, I have been working and trying. But I have not been working or trying as hard as I could. My first rule for my kids is to try your best, or put forth your best effort. It's my turn to do this and to model it for the kids. Am I up to the task? Maybe, maybe not. Either way I know this:

Commit your works to the LORD
And your plans will be established.
Proverbs 16:3

I know that if I give this to Him and work as hard as I can, He will establish my plans (He will be the one to bring success to my plans but I have to commit myself and what I do to Him). I'm not saying He needs my help or this will happen because of my own effort. But I now realize that He wants me to be a teacher, and I need to learn to throw my whole heart into it. Sure there are times when He just gives us something or blesses us with something or it just comes to us because He puts it there. But there are other times where we have to busy ourselves about His business and learn and grow from it. This is my desire.

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
Psalm 37:4-7

So with a light heart but a heavy mind, I move on and get on with the journey. I'm not depressed or sad or upset. I'm resolved to doing what I know I have to do. He's set this road before me and I'm ready to walk it. Please join me by praying with me and for me.

No comments: